Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 1: Chocolate Butter

Hi Suzie! Hope all is well in Snowkane :) this has already been an incredible, eye opening trip... I don't know how newcomers to America or any country for that matter do it! Without Anastasia, Keri and I would probably still be munching on our protein bars we packed for travel emergencies, unable to figure out the key to his apartment and not knowing where to go.

We've been learning so much about the culture and about the city itself; this place is incredibly, buildings bigger than I've ever seen! And each one of them is a different architectural style. It's been great :) the buildings somewhat represent how I feel the culture is somewhat: no windows in storefronts. Anastasia was talking about how Americans smile and say hello to every, rather boisterous, while many Kazakhs lived through the Soviet Union and their lives were forced to become private. When Anastasia took us to the supermarket earlier, I foolishly was snapping away with my camera when the doorman/bouncer came and frantically spoke to Anastasia, asking why I was taking pictures. He then asked me to put away my camera and I of course did, but the fear in him was palpable. *Disclaimer: this is simply an observation, not a judgement; I believe it is simply a cultural difference and I do not take offense* The people seem to feel inconvenienced when you ask for help or attention; most of the time they continue talking to friends (if they are store employees, etc.) or watching television (as was the case when Keri and I stumbled down to the market in our apartment building to get basic provisions like 2.5% milk (looked better than the 3.2%...) and chicken and tortellini-like things which according to Anastasia aren't tortellini at all). It seemed that in both Russia and in Kazakhstan there are a lot of unmanned stores and areas, which is interesting considering how many police were around. There's kind of this feel of, "I'll get to it when I get to it, and you'll just have to deal with it" that's so foreign to me. In America, everyone is asking you questions and pushing items on you, but not here. I'm trying to pick up on who is Russian and who is Kazakh; thankfully, I've been noticing the difference (although Keri and I did remark how we felt they all looked similar... sounds familiar, hmm? Quite like a commonly held American misperception of other people groups). I tried to practice my Kazakh, but it has only ended up towards a Russian... and of course when I whip out what little Russian I have, yes, I am in the presence of a Kazakh. Thankfully they all speak both, but I did get some laughs :) was worth it, I've been trying to be proactive about practicing my phrases!

Today was wonderful, I'm having the time of my life and am learning so much it's ridiculous. Today was a driving tour of Astana (too cold to walk, my nose hairs were freezing before stepping out the door... was -22F today at some point I believe), a large pyramid-shaped entertainment center and a Kazakh lunch. Tomorrow is hopefully the museum and Anastasia did mention the Astana acquarium followed by a traditional Russian meal at her home. I'm learning quite a bit, I dunno if I could ever truly capture it all here and jet lag has my eyes drooping as we speak, but tomorrow will be a more rested day and more experiences to share!

Peace and blessings,
Chels

2 comments:

  1. Nope, the idea of customer service and speed is a pretty American thing. The former-Soviet bloc thing plays a part too, but in England/other parts of Europe they're all "yawn. You're here for food, not a song and dance."

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like the feeling of putting your money in someone's open hand and hoping they give you the correct amount of change!

    ReplyDelete