Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 2: Spongebob Squarepants

Hey there!

Today we stopped by the school and planned for our lesson at the preschool. Sounds like we'll be teaching a full three hours tomorrow and are in charge of planning it! Question that Keri and I had: can this be one of our lesson plans? We're also planning a lesson for Thursday, can that also be one? Or should we split them up? Totally up to you :) after that we had a Russian lunch and went to the Oceanarium to see the Fish of Kazakhstan. And yes, we saw Lindsay today for the first time and spent some time with her! Sounds like her Polish family is great and she's attempting to beat jetlag like the rest of us :/

These experiences have already molded how I will approach new students. It's shown me what it feels like, not just helped me to assume it. I was realizing today how much patience Anastasia has with the three of us in understanding us and working with us. That and simple functioning is ten times harder when she isn't around. I hope to always be patient and always offer endless support to my kiddos so that they are less likely to feel these insecurities in the school setting. I'm beginning to realize how we put our most difficult foot forward in going to the Kazakh (completely Russian-speaking) preschool first followed by a weekend in another city without our translator... it'll be growing for sure. The preschool tomorrow will be quite the experience, and planning for it was truly unique. We had to consider every tiny detail, moreso than usual, because of our language barrier. What would be best for the kids? What songs could we teach them that have minimal, easy English? Would reading this book confuse them more than entertain them? A lot goes into planning for these things, I'm so thankful to be getting hands on practice.

I really wish my reflections made more sense, I apologize if they don't... jetlag still has a hold on my brain. But it's now 8pm my time, off to bed! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be full of insight and stories from the day ahead :)

Chels

4 comments:

  1. Fun, adventures and learning too. What a good combination. You will be much richer for these moments in time. Enjoy your students! Stay safe, warm and always our Sweet Chelsea. We love you. Nana and Papa Casebolt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling where I didn't know the language gave me a totally new perspective on ELL students in my classroom. I can't even imagine the culture shock and everything else that goes along with moving to another country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? No sparkling grocery stores? No choice of 50 energy drinks??? No big box pet stores with pink tutus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this whole experience will be so so good for you when you teach your students back here. you are right now working with one of the hardest groups. a completely different culture who cant understand your language. i think your learning to conquer that quite well. In doing so it will give you strategies for dealing with American social and learning problems :) i like knowing your being challenged now so you will strengthen for later!

    ReplyDelete